Sunday, September 26, 2010

Am I a Natural at Something?

I have pondered this question many times. Before I answer it, I’d like to give my opinion on the definition of a “natural.” To me, being a natural is simply mastering whatever you do. Whether it is soccer, playing a violin, etc.  , naturals make whatever they do look like a piece of cake.  Now I might be going to the extreme side here, but let’s face it, some people are just a lot more gifted than others. No matter how hard you try and practice, there is always someone who can learn whatever you are doing a lot easier than you can. For example, I’m a pretty athletic person, but one sport I cannot play is golf. Yet I know several people who never played a sport in their life go out and play one game of golf and they do really good.  You also have to consider something else; people become a natural at different times in their career.  Let’s go back to the Michael Jordan example.  It’s pretty safe to say that MJ was a natural at basketball. But like I said in my previous post, he was cut from his junior high school basketball team. Nobody thought he would become the greatest player to ever walk on a basketball court. He didn’t become a standout until later in high school. However, people also become naturals at a very early age.  Argentinian soccer star Lionel Messi arrived at FC Barcelona’s youth development program at the age of thirteen. That’s right. Thirteen. Can you imagine being a boy and being at one of the biggest soccer clubs in the world? 
            Now back to the original question.  Am I a natural at something? I think so. I started playing soccer at the age of four. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to sit here and say that I was this amazing player like Lionel Messi, because I definitely was not.  However, I was somewhat of a standout in my soccer playing days.  I don’t know what it was, but everything about soccer just made sense. There was never a moment when I felt like “What the heck am I supposed to be doing?” The feel of a ball at my feet just seemed natural (no pun intended) and it just felt right being out on a pitch.  It always felt like people were watching me to learn how to do something. So yes, I think I was a natural (and it feels pretty cool too).

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you about there always seems to be someone who can do better than you. I think that's when we need to take that as an opportunity to try harder and practice even more, but we also should we realize that we don't have to be perfect at something to succeed. We just need to try our best and continue persevering and working to get better. Natural or not, it is possible for everyone to succeed at something if they are willing to put the time and effort into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made a really good comment about how people become naturals at different times in their life. I never really thought about that, but it's a very interesting point, and it also raises a few questions. How did those people all of a sudden become great? Did they practice a lot? Did their bodies just change? I'm sure different things happen for different people, but I definitely agree that people can become great at something at various times in their life.

    ReplyDelete