Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"I Believe I Can Fly":The Success (and failure) of Michael Jordan

First of all, I'd like to say that Michael Jordan is one of the greatest,if not the greatest, athletes of all time. The way he played the game of basketball was incredible. I think that this commercial does a very good job of explaining his success. Every athlete claims to have had failures in their life. However, I think Michael Jordan (MJ) has had a little bit more than most athletes. In junior high, MJ was cut from the school basketball team. I mean...wow. The greatest player ever to play the game was cut from a measly junior high school team?? Yep. During the commercial he gives specific numbers on his failures, and they are pretty alarming. The last line he says though, pretty much sums it up. He gives credit to his failures for making him succeed. He says this as an inspiration to people out there going through tough times.

I think that the set up of this commercial is very clever. The dark hallway creates a dramatic tone. MJ steps in and ignores all the wealthy and obnoxious fans and press and continues down the hallway. As he passes a janitor, he gives him the head nod. I think this represents how MJ can identify with people who have struggling jobs or other troubles (such as the janitor; don't think I'm saying janitors are lower class, I'm just trying to back up my idea). 

Just to sum all of this up I'd like to share with you a MJ quote I ran across..." Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it." This is the growth mindset in a nutshell. 

On a more serious note...be sure to tune into WSAZ Channel 3 this SATURDAY @ 7 to watch our Thundering Herd take on the Bowling Green Falcons. I'm actually drving up to the game so look for me! 
GO HERD!

3 comments:

  1. First, I would like to say, yes! somebody else knows all these random and obscure facts about Micheal Jordan besides me!

    I like your description of the commercial, I actually never even noticed the janitor thing, but now that I watched it again it it stuck out majorly.

    I like the quote you used, it really does sum up not only MJ's brilliant career, but also his strive to always do.

    Have fun in Bowling Green. Go Herd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so I definitely agree with you when you say MJ's quote is the growth mindset in a nutshell. I really believe he is the perfect example of it. He faced numerous adversities, but continued to push forward. He continued trying and improving and is now one of the best basketball players of all time. Had he given up, he would not be who he is today. He is exactly what the growth mindset is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I would like to say that I totally agree that Michael Jordan is one of the greatest athletes of all time. I also like how you said he gives credit to his failures for making him succeed. That is very true, and it definitely shows why Michael Jordan has a growth mindset. The extra quote you used was also good, and it also showed how his attitude on life helped him become who he is today.

    Have fun at the game! Go Herd! :)

    ReplyDelete