Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I AM AGAINST GENDER DIVIDED CLASSROOMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I first thought about the disadvantages of gender divided classrooms, I thought about what if I had to go through a gender divided classroom going through school. After much thought on this, I've come to the conclusion that I would have absolutely hated going through gender divided classrooms. Some of the closest friends I have are girls and I met them in the classroom. I wouldn't have developed the social skills to be able to interact with people (girls) who had different personalities. Like Ms. Jenna said, girls and boys think in different ways (right brain vs. left brain). If you know how to interact with different types of personalities, then it's pretty safe to say that you could develop really good leadership skills. 

In an article called "Advantages and Disadvantages of Single Sex Public School Education," a gender divided classroom actually costs the school more than a regular classroom. In these tough economic times, I really don't think that schools want to spend more on something that would cater to a certain sex. Which leads me to my next point...

In the United States of America, we are all about equality. If this is true, then why would we allow gender divided classrooms? All the time, girls are being told that they are the same as boys; perhaps they might question this claim when they are in an all-girl classroom. Then some male-chauvinistic kid might think they are superior to girls. 

Due to the economic impacts, inhibitions of social skills, and issues with equality, gender divided classrooms are not a good idea.


2 comments:

  1. You made several good points and I agree with you. Majority of my good friends are guys and like you I met them through school. Had I been in an all-girl class or even school, I would have never met many of them. Also, your point about the economy is really good too. All we hear about now-a-days is how bad the economy of this country has become. We should be finding ways to effectively safe money, not spend more for something that has many detrimental effects. Pointing out that equality is one of the key points this country is founded on is also a very good reason that we shouldn't have gender-divided classrooms. Though some people may point out that splitting the genders may provide each gender with opportunities to learn in their own way, it takes away more opportunities to socialize and learn about different perspectives that the opposite sex can bring to the table. Overall this is a really good post. The only thing you might want to do on this post is put a citation for your source at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said in this post too. I also would have hated going through gender divided classrooms. Most of my friends in high school were boys, and I most likely wouldn't have even talked to them had they not been in many of my classes. I also like your points about the economy and equality. Here in our country, it seems like these two things are our biggest issues so why ignite them further with gender divided classrooms?

    ReplyDelete